My Wonderful Followers - Thankyou :)

Saturday 26 May 2012

Flashback Friday 24.0



This month's prompt at Flashback Friday is to post your first masculine card.

This was made for Paul's Grandad in August 2003.

He sadly passed away on the 30th May last year and loved my cards so this is quite a fitting tribute to him as we approach the 1st anniversary of this sad event. 

He was renowned for loving a real ale so for the 1st handmade card I gave him I wanted it to be personal for him. I had cut a template out of card to make a 'pint' glass and cut a piece of shiny acetate and placed some textured brown paper behind to emulate a glass of beer. I used some cotton wool for the frothy head at the top of the glass and handwrote cheers in permanent marker on the acetate.

The base of the card was a sheet of bronze pearlescent card and I used some gold paper for the matted layer and trimmed the edges with patterned scissors.

The sentiment was written on the computer and matted and layered on more of the paper.

When I look back at this card it seems so bare... perhaps because there were no patterned papers around at that time in the UK. Cardmaking was just starting to create a buzz and materials were not so readily available. You really had to think outside the box and be creative with other materials. I remember being so proud of this card and waiting frantically for the reaction when Grandad opened it. I have to say that I am still as excited now to see people open their cards and I hope that my joy in this never goes away.

It probably sounds corny but a little bit of me goes into everything I make. I love cardmaking in general but especially love it when I am making something that is quite personal for a particular person. The day I don't enjoy that is the day I should pack up cardmaking for good. I for one hope that never happens J

5 comments:

~amy~ said...

What a perfect card for an ale lovin' guy....great tribute to him:) Thanks for joining us at Flashback Friday!

Leigh Ann Baird said...

You are not corny at all. I think we all put a bit of ourselves in each creation. Thanks for digging through your archives for this challenge. Your card is perfect!

Tara Cardwell said...

I knew instantly that you must be a UK crafter as your beer has a "proper" head lol! I think you were very creative to make a card like this so long ago - paper crafting supplies have certainly come a long way since 2003 haven't they!
Thanks for joining my masculine flashback :-)
Tara (aka Craftilicious)
x

Alyssa S said...

What a great card! I put a little of myself into my creations too, and a little of my obsessive compulsive disorder! Ha, ha, ha! I love every little detail from the acetate *glass* to the frothy top!

Leanne said...

Great card & a lovely tribute! Thanks for playing with us at Flashback Friday!