My Wonderful Followers - Thankyou :)

Tuesday 5 May 2009

365 Cards Day 66 & The Pink Elephant 13


The challenge for Day 66 at 365 Cards is to incorporate a specificsentiment into your card. The sentiment was 'You are there, and I am here'. Obviously a bit of a challenge. I'd been mulling it over for a bit and whilst I was in Asda doing the shopping I suddenly thought it would be perfect for a 'let's get together for a coffee' type of card.

Whilst bloghopping yesterday I found a link to a Splitcoast Stampers Tutorial for making flowers out of circles by folding them. Within the tutorial it said you could use scalloped circles to make a carnation type flower and I wanted to have a go at it. I have lots of paper, but not much of it is double sided so the hardest part was trying to get the papers together to do them. I have a pack of papers that came from Costco last year which is where these came from but they are a bit darker than I would have liked them to be. Nevertheless I am quite pleased with how they turned out.

I covered the front of the card with the light green side and cut a scalloped circle with my largest Nestability die. I offset the edges off the card and trimmed to fit. The flowers are made from cutting the 2 smallest nestie dies and folding as per the linked tutorial. The stem and leaves was drawn freehand with a pencil then I drew over it with a Sakura Quickie glue pen and added fine grade glitter to the swirls. This is something I've never had the confidence to do before as I was always worried I would muck it up but I'm pleased with the outcome. 

The sentiment for the front and inside was printed onto paper and I then mounted the front onto card. I used a Craftwork Cards sentiment message that my friend Sarn gave me to make a template for the shape and drew around the edges. I have pierced the edges of the shape and mounted onto 3D foam.

The message inside was stuck on with double sided tape. I cut a frame with the nesties out of the green paper and stuck to bottom. The birdie is one of my new Hero Arts stamps that I bought at the Glitterpot. I coloured it in with Marvy le Plume pens and a silver gel pen.

The use of circles and scallops on this card has enabled me to enter it into the Pink Elephant Challenge this week.

I'm pleased with how this card turned out. I have learnt new techniques and done something different. Woohoo !!!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inspirational....the flowers look fab, not to dark at all..x

Annie said...

Brilliant card - I'm going to give this folding a try out. I think it's stunning.


Ann xxx
http://thepinkelephantchallenge.blogspot.com/

Sarn said...

Another great card hun!

Robin said...

This is fabulous! I have seen this fold making a full flower, but never a carnation like these. What a wonderful way to use circles and scallops! thanks for joining us at TPE this week!

Bex said...

Those flowers are delicious, very sumptuous! What a great new technique!

Julie said...

You are very creative, so much work, love it.

~amy~ said...

Mandy, this is absolutely fabulous!!

Carol said...

Gorgeous flowers Mandy, they have some fab tutorials on SCS we just need more hours in the day to do them all!!
Thanks for playing along with our challenge this week :)

Hugs
carol x

♥ Audrey ♥ said...

That is one gorgeous card and luv the colours used.

~Tammy~ said...

I am lovin your card today, great job with the challenge

Jeannie said...

Luv these papers - beautiful!!

Peace and Luv,
Jeannie

Vicky said...

this is so cool - love those flowers!! i really, really like this card :)

Trudi said...

Beautiful card, love the flowers! Thanks for playing along with us this week at TPE.

LORi said...

So so pretty!!

Dawn said...

Pleased indeed!! Those flowers are GORGEOUS!! You did an incredible job on this card.

Tracey said...

Stunning card, love the folded flowers :o)

Hugs
Tracey
x